We decided to make Veganomicon’s Chickpea Cutlets for dinner. 🙂 Unfortunately we ran into a few hitches with the recipe, mainly lack of ingredients! However we soldiered through and produced some delicious looking cutlets. It was funny because our roommate came in while frying the cutlets and asked if we were making pork! So they must be convincing lol.
Veganomicon by Isa Chandra-Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero (recipe links to PPK recipe)
- 16 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 a potato, skinned
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (we used tamari sauce)
- 1/4 cup EVOO (we used 1/6)
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp of rosemary
- Mash chickpeas with garlic until smooth but not pureed.
- Add the remaining ingredients and knead. Strings of gluten should form. Shape the cutlets.
- Preheat a skillet to medium-heat, add oil and cook the cutlets for about 6-7 minutes per side (until browned).
This cutlets were good! It’s been a while since I made them so I’m trying to remember the details, but we served them with cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes. It felt like a good hearty meal. 🙂 We weren’t able to get some of the ingredients here (i.e. vital wheat gluten) but we made do and they still turned out really tasty. I bet these would be good with some gravy as well.